43 High Street
Number 43 High Street was constructed in the early 1800s as a four bay, three storey dwelling house. In recognition of its architectural character the property was listed (reference number: HB14/23/033) as a Grade B building on 14th August 1981 by the Historic Environment Division.
For most of its history 43 High Street acted as a residence for the professional and business classes. From 1864 to 1887 the occupants included Alfred Armstrong (General Merchant); John Black (Town Commissioner); James Monroe (Linen and Cotton Yarn Merchant) and James M.J. Scott (Doctor of Medicine). From 1887 James Johnston, co-founder of the Johnston, Allen and Co. handkerchief manufacturing company of Victoria Street, is listed as the occupant of the house. Members of the Johnston family would remain here until the late 1970s.
Following the departure of the Johnston family, the building was converted into a commercial premises with the Lurgan Fobel Centre and DIY Hardware shop the first such tenant. Since the closure of House 2 Home Property Agents in 2013 the property has lay derelict.
Number 43 High Street has been identified as one of the Lurgan THI’s priority buildings. The plans for this fine but currently derelict property are currently in the design stage.
3D digital model showing the current layout of 43, 45, 47 and 47a High Street. Courtesy of McCreanor Company Architects.