3-5 Market Street
Numbers 3 to 5 Market Street were identified as high priority projects for the Lurgan TH as both the presence of a gap site, which was created by the demolition of number 3, and the dereliction of number 5 were detracting significantly from Lurgan’s streetscape.
The buildings were originally constructed in the early 1800s, forming a mid-terrace three storey, six bay block. The ground floor level was designated for commercial use with two shop fronts, between which was an arched opening that provided access to the extensive rears and yards of the properties. The upper storeys were for residential use.
Among the listed commercial occupiers of the shop front of 3 Market Street between 1864 -1881 were John Rooney (Grocer and Spirit Merchant); Peter Duffy (Grocer, Provision Dealer and Spirit Merchant) and Samuel Thompson (Haberdashery and Millinery Dressmaker). In 1881 John Malcomson established a general merchant business in the premises, which later evolved into a funerary and carriage hire business in c.1893. He later moved his operations to the rear of number 5 in the 1930s. Among the many later businesses occupying the shop front of number 3 were Campbell and McGibbon (Furniture Dealers and Auctioneers), County Reproductions and the audio/visual shop Stereovision; with Frederick C. Watson (Cabinet maker) and the C. & B. Vulcanising and Motor Company (car mechanic and tyre repair business) among those who used the outbuildings at number 3.
Among the listed business occupants of the shop front of number 5 during the years 1864 to 1959 are: James Taylor (Wholesale and Retail Grocer and Wine and Spirit Merchant); Peter Duffy (Grocer, Provision Dealer and Spirit Retailer); John G. O’Reilly (Solicitor); Thomas G. Menary (Solicitor); Walter Clarke (Victualler), George Ruddell (butcher) and William Seyton (Butcher). In the 1960s Malcomsons funeral business took over the shop front.
In 2008 numbers 3 and 5 Market Street were purchased by Tesco Stores Ltd.. The purchase resulted in the departure of Malcomsons Funeral Service Ltd. from number 5, ending a 127 year association with the terrace, although not with Lurgan as the firm chose to relocate their business to Robert Street. In 2009 number 3, derelict and in poor structural repair due to damage sustained during a 1992 bomb attack in Lurgan town centre, was demolished with David Patton & Sons Limited the contractors.
Now in the hands of new owners, Carey Developments Ltd., and supported by the Lurgan TH, work has begun to reconstruct number 3 to closely replicate the building that formerly stood here, with restoration work undertaken on number 5 to restore it to it’s former glory. The scheme will result in the creation of two ground floor shop units and five residential apartments, once again allowing both buildings to become a part of day-to-day life of Market Street.